Tuesday 8 December 2020

Dwarf Miners Painting Part 1

 This is a brief description of the way I painted the dwarf miners. It’s not a detailed step by step, more a summary of how I tackled the unit. Each photo shows the state of the figures at the end of an hour long session. I tend to paint one hour at a time and, these days, seldom have more than one session in a day. So the time taken stretches over several days.

Primed white, then metals base coated

Metals shaded

Leathers base coated, using artists acrylic paint in this case

Shading leather, base colours and flesh started

That’s four hours work on this unit and now they are finally coming together. They are moving from the ugly duckling stage and starting to look a bit dwarfish. When the beards and faces are painted the  unit will really come to life, that will happen in the next part.

7 comments:

Ski said...

It's 100% different from how I paint and very unusual to see someone complete various elements before moving on to other parts of the models. They look really nice though. Looking forward to seeing them completed.

Matt Crump said...

Looking good...a bit like ghost dwarves

Matt Crump said...

Did you re blog this ? It reappeared as a fresh post but don’t think it has changed

astrochelonian said...

I like how these are turning out. If I remember correctly, you build up color from relatively transparent layers using matte medium, is that correct?

Nord said...

That’s pretty accurate, I use matte medium to thicken the paint, and flow improver to thin it, mostly I use a bit of both. And most of the time I apply a thinned base coat, then a glaze or two for the shading, and hope to do no more than that. If the colour palette and contrast is good, there’s no need to add dozens of layers.

astrochelonian said...

Thank you for this. I'm going to try this method out on my Runebound player miniatures.

Nord said...

Check out my tutorials on YouTube for a better understanding of my method

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...