Tuesday 30 July 2024

Cave trolls

Deep in the darkest, dankest caverns and caves, they live. Their eyes are almost useless after decades of darkness, their skin has almost calcified in the constant drip of minerals and lava sediments, their wiry bodies gangly and tough as old leather. They exist on the blind fish and crustacae that cling on to existence  in the cold, clammy pools of their subterranean homes. If a goblin or giant spider strays into their realm, it will provide them with food for a month.

And yet, the goblins do make their way into these perilous corners of their realm. The cave trolls are lumbering, almost blind and very dangerous, but this makes them ideal conscripts for the goblin armies. Prodded and goaded, they are pushed into the teeth of their enemies, blunting their defence, weakening their resolve, and possibly soiling their trousers…

It’s been a while since I posted, simply because I almost never paint minis now. However, I did recently feel the nostalgia and dug out these old stone trolls. From around 1992 when I first started Warhammer, though at the time I could not afford too many metals and my limited funds went toward my elves. Fast forward a couple of decades, I have been slowly scraping together a collection from that era. 

I have learnt more about painting, colours, ambience, etc since making the switch to canvas. And so these figures are slightly different stylistically than my other miniatures, though it’s subtle and maybe not that apparent on screen. Anyway, there’s a lot of basic dry brushing and glazing and not much else to be honest. In colour terms, the grey of stone and a pale flesh colour, with a cool red on the main facial features, to represent the effects of daylight on their light sensitive skin.

A little history lesson. The trolls were originally released as single piece models, these three in fact. Later they were released as two pieces (a separate head), presumably to allow variety for those building really big units? I prefer the single piece models, but I am happy to include a spare. 

As I said, I have been away from the world of minis for the past few years and, well, it sure has changed. So much more choice around, it’s quite mind boggling. I have been sorting through my collection, and hopefully I can get back into the hobby on a reduced scale. I have a small unit of orcs to paint next, see how that goes. It would be nice to build a force of orcs and goblins to take on my dwarfs…….

7 comments:

Citizen Sade said...

Lovely work. I very much like the grey skin and sun-kissed accents.. It makes the somewhat comical sculpts feel more menacing, IMO.

Toby said...

These are really nice. I like the shading from grey armour to pink skin. I remember the original bright blue models in White Dwarf!

Michael Awdry said...

Sensational work!

potsiat said...

Very original, good-looking color scheme and a great execution. I love the backdrop too. Well done, sir!

Nord said...

Thanks all, I wasn’t sure if anybody still read blogs these days!

Marc said...

They look great! I like the hints of green contrasted with the pink highlights.

Skeleton Warrior said...

Welcome back! I thought this blog had bitten the dust but I made a point of checking back every now and again as your painting guides are such a great resource. Great to see you painting again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...