Saturday 13 April 2019

Black Goblins

The Greater Goblins of the Black Vale, or Black Goblins as they are more commonly known, are the biggest of their kind. While most goblins are small, wretched, scrawny creatures, Black Goblins are much larger, some as tall as a dwarf. Consequently, they tend to be leaders, bodyguard or even warlords. They are the best armed of their kind, as they have the pick of  the loot from the battlefields, and steal arms and armour from their compatriots at will. Few goblin warbands go to battle without these bruisers leading the way.

These are the Black Goblins from Knightmare Games. When I first ordered the figures, I had no idea that they were such a large scale. I dreamt up the concept of them being the larger, elite troops of the race - not an original thought I admit, given the role of Black Orcs in Warhammer and black uruks in Lord of the Rings. You can see my first impressions of the models in this post.


I googled images of black orcs to get a few ideas for darker skinned goblins. However, I found it hard to break the mould and started with green skin tones, intending to shade them down quite darkly, but made a bit of a mess of it. I added too many different shades and it just did not turn out as I would have hoped. In future, I will stick to my tried and tested base coat and glazes routine. In the end, I decided to leave the skin and move on to other areas, see how it looked with all the other bits painted. It's often better to get an idea of the overall picture before obsessing on one little bit. With the rest of the colours on, the figures came together and they don't look too bad. I probably spent longer on touching up the skin than I would usually, lesson learned for next time.


The figures are not sold with shields or bases. I used my default system of two pence coins for the bases - they add a bit of weight and stability and are also magnetic. The shields are more of a problem, should I add some, and if yes, what should I use? In the meantime, they will just have to rely on their armour.

7 comments:

Michal DwarfCrypt said...

Lovely Goblins!

Matt Crump said...

Nice group, they look very like old Citadel figures 🤔

Sebastian said...

Top stuff, love these new goblins Kev's putting out :)

Rafal Maj said...

Stunning job! Love it!

astrochelonian said...

Brilliant skin tones. They remind me of the goblins from Labyrinth :)

My_Kin said...

Gorgeous! Any plans to get back to your High Elves?

Nord said...

Thanks all, these are lovely figures. More goblins to come soon.

On the high elves, there are plans to get back to them, but it's not likely to be very soon. Dwarfs and goblins are top of the list at the moment, with vikings and trolls close after.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...