Wednesday 24 April 2019

Sargob The Old

This is probably the oldest figure in my collection, certainly the oldest goblin. It's so old I cannot remember where it came from, possibly gifted to me by another player years ago when I was a club member. I painted it a few years ago, possibly about ten years back.

 Looking on the Stuff of Legends website, I have identified it as a Citadel C12 goblin, named Sargob, from around 1987. Judging by the style, I would guess it was sculpted by one of the Perry twins, he looks a bit too serious to have been sculpted by Kev Adams.

The first thing you might notice is the moustache, which is a bit strange on a goblin. The shield is a modern addition, a plastic from the chaos marauders set. I have recently rebased the figure from square to round, to better fit the new goblins warband I am building. All I had to do was paint the base and he fits right in.

4 comments:

JC said...

Great work!

I'm pretty sure he's a Kev Adams goblin; I think he'd taken over all the goblins by that stage. The big droopy nose and the shoes look very Adams-ish, and he did do quite a few moustachioed goblins.

Also, Sargob's a variant of the trooper from the second edition of Grom's Goblin Guard (they were by Kev; the first set were by the Perrys).

http://www.solegends.com/citrr/2rr03groms/index.htm

The last Perry 'C' goblins were in 1985, I think: you can pick them out from the Adams ones as they're more like little orcs, with smaller, less exaggerated features and a generally less cartoony look.

Much as I like Kev's more recent stuff, I prefer his older stuff with Citadel. In particular, the weapons on the older sculpts seem more proportionate and wieldy; the later ones tend to have thicker-hafted, less realistic weapons (and a lot of double-bitted axes, which don't 'ring true' for me, even in a fantasy context). That said, the black goblins you did recently look great.

Anyway, Sargob look splendidly malevolent here!

Matt Crump said...

A time when goblins really were goblins 😀

Phil Curran said...

There was a period where various goblins were influenced with a `Ghengis Khan' look, with furry helmets and Mongolian styling. I agree with Matt Crump, `when goblins were goblins'.
A lovely painted example.

Bishop Marcos said...

Interresting thoughts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...