Wednesday 2 May 2012

Dwarf Engineer painted

I finished the Dwarf Engineer. I am quite happy with the metals and the leather apron, but there are a few niggling problems with the rest of it. The cloth bits are a bit glossy and no matter how much matte varnish I use it seems to make no difference. The hair is blonder than I wanted, I had it a nice pale colour but then glazed it with too much yellow. The skin is okay, but I had a lot of problems with the eyes, which were virtually non-existent on the model. In fact, the quality of the cast overall was quite low, with a few areas miscast and the model in general being "soft" on detail. I hope Avatars of War eventually make the move to resin, as long as it's not finecast resin. Blimey, all this exposure to the dwarf has turned me into an old grumbler!

4 comments:

Kuffeh said...

I really like him. The beard looks really good, the blonde looks quite natural. What colours did you use for it?

Nord said...

I tend to mix colours as I go along, especially on characters when I don't have to replicate. I use coat d'arms paints, horse roan will have been the base (it's a bit like dheneb stone). Then I added some shading in light browns and greys. Then I highlighted with the roan and some yellow (horse dun). Then I must have added the yellow glaze which made it too yellow. Then I tidied up again with more mixes of the yellow and roan and white too. As I say, it's mostly done by eye, rather than recipe.

Turska said...

Great work with grim miniature! Hope to see more dwarfs from you as soon as possible - your dwarfs have always been highly inspiring to see.

Turska

Nord said...

Thanks, wish I had a load of chaos dwarfs like yours! However, I have been tempted to the dark side .... goblinz!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...