Friday 29 January 2021

Grumpy Gnome


The first painting of the new year. I was aiming to get it done at the start of the new year, but there always seemed to be something else to do instead. Still, at least I managed to get him finished in January so I think technically that qualifies as new year. This is a figure by Blacksmith Miniatures that I bought as part of a Kickstarter a few years back. I thought it was high time to try something different, it’s a display figure at scale 55mm. I painted it as a grumpy little gnome traipsing back from the mine, his coal for the week on his back. Looks like he picked up a stowaway at some point. 

Most of the paint used was Golden artists acrylics, having tried them a few times now I think I will rarely buy hobby paints again, these are just so much more pigmented and better quality. I used a limited palette of black, white, yellow ochre and burnt sienna for the bulk of the model. I did have to mix in a little violet to enhance the red of the cap. I reckon I will be painting more things like this in the future. Enough blabber, here’s more photos.












2 comments:

Matt Crump said...

Nice figure....and I guess a big difference painting a big figure ?

Nord said...

In truth, most of my painting these days is on larger figures, giant wolves, bears and tree men being my latest jobs! So it was far less of a leap into the unknown than you might imagine

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...