Thursday 16 April 2015

Gamers' Grass Review

I have been looking for some reasonably priced grass tufts for a while. There are plenty around to choose from, but some of them are extremely hard on the wallet. A tiny patch of static grass for five pounds?!? - no thanks. But recently I stumbled across Gamers' Grass by Great Escape Games. They are available in a variety of sizes and colours - here's the product page on their website. Suitably impressed by the range and the affordability, I put in an order for five different strips on Tuesday and my little parcel arrived on Thursday. Grass on speed! That's excellent service.

The tufts were sent in a small but strong carton and arrived in good shape. Each strip of paper is about 15 x 5 cm and holds a variable number of tufts, depending on which size you opted for. The wild grass option gives you fewer, larger more varied clumps. There's a nice variety of colours here, they cover all the seasons I would say, so you should be able to pick up the right tone for your basing scheme.

The tufts are self-adhesive. I just used fingers to pull them off and press them on to the bases. I have used them on a few different test bases, along with other basing materials, just to gain an idea of how they could look. You don't need many to add a little extra something to your figures. Smaller scale figures, such as the Perry historical and Lord of the Rings figures, probably need the smaller tufts. The larger tufts could be used on the more heroic scale of standard fantasy figures, or maybe on terrain projects. My test batch of five strips cost me £11 including UK postage. I have enough here to base several skirmish forces I would think, so I am a happy customer. Thoroughly recommended.


6 comments:

Dazza36 said...

They look nice. I've just put in a small order to give them a try. Maybe you should get a commission !!

Matt Crump said...

And I think I just ran out so might order some of these.....

Paul W said...

Very nice. Good to see they are well packaged. I've had tufts arrive in the post before that appear have a "trampled by stampeding herd of wild buffalo" theme!

Brian Carlson said...

Really appreciate you posting, they seem reasonably priced!

redmanphill said...

These are really cheap and relatively easy to make yourelf. The Rubbish in Rubbish out youtube channel has a good video showing how to do it.

Nord said...

It's like most terrain, you can make it yourself probably cheaper, see my trees for example! It's usually a trade off between time and money and having the right equipment. If I had a static grass applicator I would make my own, but just for a few tufts it's not worth the cost of making an applicator. If I was building a complete terrain board, then it would be a different story.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...