Friday 19 February 2021

Realm of Chaos warriors


The first unit for painting in my new Realm of Chaos project is the warriors, from the Start Collecting Slaves to Darkness starter set. The box contains 16 figures, comprising 10 warriors (foot), 5 knights (mounted) and one lord on a lizard type beast. Round / oval bases are provided. The figures are press together builds meant for beginners, though I assembled mine with glue. They are all built in a single pose, it is not possible to make your own poses. However, it’s easy enough to remove the flange on the necks, allowing you to twist the head and alter the pose a little. I did this quite a lot on the foot warriors, to avoid them all looking straight ahead. There’s also a choice of helmeted or bare head available on the warriors and the lord, though not the knights.

The engineering on GW’s figures never ceases to amaze me. They truly are amazing models. Each of the foot figures, which technically are footslogging grunts, could easily be a character model. These were a breeze to put together. I trimmed off a couple of bits and varied the head rotation as I mentioned above. If you wanted to make weapon swaps (if you had two sets and you wanted to avoid clones) it should be reasonably easy. The choice of heads is also a nice touch and you could potentially mix in heads from other kits. These are wonderful models and I am really looking forward to painting them. I would think that one or two might be slightly easier to paint if you left off the shield arm and attached it after painting was complete, but I tend to avoid this. 

As far as compatibility is concerned, they scale really well with recent chaos warrior models, as this photo shows. The red warrior is one of the Khorne models released for AOS. The black warrior is from the plastic box of chaos warriors released back when WHFB was still alive. The styling and scale are well matched, the newer figures have more realistic (smaller) weapons and heads. I would think it would be reasonably easy to base them on squares and rank them up. I did intend to do this, but found I had run out of mdf bases so just went for the easy option of using those in the box. 

Even though I have started the project on a nostalgia wave, I am using the project as a testing board for some new ideas. New to me that is. More on that in a future post, for now here are the figures primed black, then grey, then dry brushed white.

5 comments:

Matt Crump said...

Nice ....but round bases that isn’t very retro !

Toby said...

I didn't realise these guys were push-fit. They seem much like the recent 40k Chaos Marines: limited poses, but being able to swap the heads is a real plus. Looking promising!

Nord said...

I think I prefer rounds now, they certainly fit the skirmish games better. Ranking up looks a bit odd but I don’t really mind.

Steve Williams said...

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with these.

Maurice Mickelwhite said...

Looking good. I'm mulling over what to go for, as one of my fellow players in the area has the WFB bug. Thinking I'll still go with rounds though.

Push fit, single poses, eh? The older plastics from early 00's were more or less single pose as well, so it'll be interesting to get hold of some of these (when my order arrives) and see if they can be rebuilt in any way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...