Wednesday 6 May 2020

Empire Warrior Priests



I have just finished painting a unit of flagellants on commission (picture below), and it reminded me of these two Empire warrior priests from my collection. I did have all three at one time, but the third has gone missing (probably sold to another collector). I think I originally bought them to auction on ebay, but then liked them so much that I ended up keeping them for myself, even though I had no real ambition to collect an Empire force.




I don't really paint in this style any more, back in the day I followed the basecoat, shade, layer, layer, layer technique. The results are nice enough, but they take a long time to achieve good results and it's very easy to mess up the layers. These days I paint more like a watercolour, glazing thin washes over a thin base coat. It gives a more organic look that I like. The red tunic on the second priest is particularly smooth looking, which looks really false in my eye. I left it as the original colour, though I did repaint the very orange flesh tones to my modern preference, and changed the base edge too.


6 comments:

Viluir said...

Nice and oldschool model! With really well-done paint job :-) I like it a lot!

Matt Crump said...

Always really liked the fluff around warrior priests and flaggellants. Much under rated .......

Michal DwarfCrypt said...

Ahh! Awesome works!

myincubliss said...

Lovely paint jobs on lovely sculpts!

Nord said...

Thanks guys, the warrior priests were probably favourite sculpts from the Empire range.

Anonymous said...

You have a real talent for making minis look alive with the natural colours you use, nice work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...