Thursday 21 March 2019

Royal Armoury of Malta

On a recent spring break in the city of Valetta, Malta, I visited the Royal Armoury, dedicated to the arms and armour of the Knights of St. John. It was a huge collection, based in two rooms stuffed with cabinets. It's not really a period of history I know much about, but for sheer spectacle it was a memorable visit. Photos below with captions, hopefully they are mostly correct from memory. The official website can be found here.

Armour Room
Armour of the Grand Master
Shield (ceremonial) of the Grand Master
More ornate armour
Cases of helmets


Ottoman Turk arms and armour


Arms room


Cannons large and small

Powder cannisters

2 comments:

Matt Crump said...

Very nice I do love a bit of armour......will let you paint the engravings and inlaid stuff 😀

Nord said...

Ha ha, if I had the skill and a lifetime of leisure, even then I still wouldn't!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...