Friday 2 September 2011

Dwarf Rangers painting progress

I am painting the dwarf rangers slowly, a snatched hour here and there. They are still some way off completion, but I thought I would show what I had done so far.

The first step is nearly always armour and metals. These are painted on as chainmail paint, followed by a wash of a mix of black and chestnut ink. Pure black ink is very stark, the chestnut makes it slightly greyer.

The next step is to paint the flesh. I have mixed up a pot of a blend of Tallarn Flesh plus white, for a pale tone. Once this is dry, it gets a wash with a mid brown, the rough equivalent of Ogryn Flesh. I apply this to the whole unit, by the time the last is done, the first is just about dry so I can apply a second coat where heavier shading is needed, basically around the eyes and mouth, in between fingers, etc.

The next stage is to paint in the clothing and leather. For these I have used a variety of fairly muted colours from the coat d'arms range, sticking to chestnut, grey blue, mid grey and dullish greens. The leather bits are just a selection of mid browns, while the boots are a darker brown.

That's all I have managed in the past week or so. The next stage will be a wash on the clothing and leather, to add a little shading and texture. Then it will be time for the beards, after which there will be very little left to do.


2 comments:

Mr Saturday said...

Looking good, the metals are turning out great.

Duarte said...

Appreciate the step-by-step like post on the dwarfs. As I've said before, to my eyes you paint dwarfs like no one else. I really like the "real" colour tones, specially the skin.

What I did with my slayers was basecoat them with Tallarn flesh and then cover them with Dwarf Flesh leaving recesses, highlighting again with Dwarf Flesh after a heavy wash with Ogryn Flesh. While I think it works fine with Slayers, there's not much highlight with this system of colours.

I'm trying to find another highlighting step in orther to paint non-slayers, so they are more pale (for they do not walk under the sun like roaming slayers). Tried Flesh from Coat D'arms, but I think it's too light. Might have to start mixing colours :S.

Anyway, nice update on the bearded folk.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...