Thursday 22 September 2011

Dwarf Berserkers painted

The Avatars of War dwarf berserkers have been finished for some time, but I am not sure they are painted to their full potential. At first I thought that my lazy technique of base coat and wash was to blame, but looking at them as a regiment there's no real problem.

I think the main issue for me is that they are very different to all the dwarfs in my army. They have no armour (well duh, who would have thought it) and so are much lighter in appearance. I have also painted their beards in very warm colours, which is quite a contrast to the dour look of most of the other dwarfs in the army. I think at some stage I will add blue or green tattooes to draw attention away from all that pink flesh - it's almost elfish, which just won't do. But that's a project for another time, to be precise, when the new army book arrives.

My final thoughts on the Avatars of War kits? It's a superb addition to a dwarf army. The sculpts are top notch,  stylistically a little different to GW dwarfs in that the AOW figures are very broad across the shoulder and slightly narrower in the face. I actually prefer them to the GW sculpts. If  AOW were ever to release armoured dwarfs, I would have a lot of redundant GW models.


But you don't have to take my word for it. Here's a photo of the two recently completed regiments in a side by side comparison shot. Obviously you have to look past the fact that some are heavily armoured while the others are practically naked. Even if you don't like the style of the AOW models, the scale is compatible and the price is reasonable. It's like travelling back in time, when you could buy a boxed regiment from GW and it would contain enough models to make a proper regiment and include a movement tray too. Ah, happy days, makes me feel a little bit like reminiscing.......cue wavy picture and jingle jangle music....watch this space!

3 comments:

Mr Saturday said...

Another splendid regiment. The overall look of your units is really very pleasing on the eye, I guess the muted palette really does make them look more 'real'. I've been thinking about the berserker box for my chaos dwarves as a box of very useful bits and bobs for conversions, boar centaurs being the first thought as the torsos look chunky enough.

PsychosisPC said...

I really must get some of these to convert and add to my chaos army.

Awesome stuff.

Nord said...

I must admit that I am very tempted to get another box and convert them to chaos dwarfs. I reckon a chaos warrior head and a bit of green stuff would do it. The main problem is the lack of armour, if you can live with that you are set to go.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...