Friday 12 March 2021

Ungor Raiders

The first unit in the Realm of Chaos nostalgia project, ten ungor raiders. I would say these are 90% painted with contrast paints and the results are pretty decent. I have been painting using self made glazes over a white undercoat for years so the switch to contrast was not difficult. I found contrast paints, like virtually every paint I use, to be far too thick and diluted them using flow enhancer and matt medium, but maybe that’s just a habit I have picked up.

These are the first unit to emerge from the Realm of Chaos, part of a larger army I have started as a nostalgia project. The plan is to build a small force and play some games over the summer when restrictions have eased. The aim is to play using WHFB fourth edition, a return to my roots, though we might end up using fifth edition as we seem to have more books from that version. They were very similar so we can probably mix and match easily.

Eagle eyed chaos generals for that era will no doubt be aware that ungor did not use bows in those versions, but as easy going gamers we will ignore that little oversight. They are also round based, which probably is no hardship for skirmish troops but might cause some consternation among the wargaming basing police. I will be using rounds on all my figures as I simply prefer the look. As casual gamers we usually can fudge along quite nicely irrespective of rules, bases and the like. 

These figures are, as stated, mostly glazed and I have skimped on a lot of detail. They are designed for gaming and not for entry into painting competition. Having said that, I reckon the standard is good for speed painting and am happy to show close ups to the nerd world.





6 comments:

SpacecowSmith said...

Nice work on the Ungor herd!

They've turned out really nicely with a wash approach.

Toby said...

Those look excellent. I really like the skin colour: it's subtle but contrasts really well with the fur.

Matt Crump said...

They will do nicely 👍

Von said...

These look like a lot of my figures – a quick, competent, get 'em on the board approach. As for the bows, it always seemed odd that Chaos didn't get *any* archers at all, and the role suits these weedy little blighters if you ask me!

Terry Silverthorn said...

WOW! Those turned out so well! From a person who is lucky to get 2 figures done on a Sunday paint session, I am continually impressed with the quality (oft claimed to be speed painted) by others. I doff my cap!

Anonymous said...

These excellent! May I ask what colors were used for the skin?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...