Friday 27 November 2020

Elf

 

The full title of this post is Zorn Silverhair, an elf from the Golden Realms. Maybe that works for an old school RPG character, but there is a slightly more esoteric reason for such a mouthful. Let me break it down for you.

The elf part is simple enough, this is an elf figure! It’s by the company known as Statuesque Miniatures and now available through Crooked Dice. It was originally sold in a set of four adventurers though they are now available as individuals. You can see the elf’s painted companions below, a dwarf and a wizard, with just one more to paint to complete the band - free cookie if you can guess the unpainted figure. 

On the palette choice, I was originally thinking of classic green wood elf, inspired much by the old Talisman artwork. But recently I have been replaying God of War and was really struck by the beauty of the light elves, which I have tried to replicate here. White robes, pale skin and even white hair, punctuated by grey and brown leathers.

The name Zorn is not particularly elvish and was chosen for his palette rather than his race. The Zorn palette is named  after Swedish painter Anders Zorn and comprises four colours - black, white, red and yellow. From this apparently limited set it is possible to mix up many colours, not surprising if you know colour theory. Add in a blue and you have all three primaries and an almost infinite palette available to you. The figure was painted using just these four colours, though I did also also use a little silver and a brown ink.

And that brings us to an explanation of the Golden Realms. I have been painting acrylic on canvas recently and have come to appreciate the much higher quality and pigmentation of artist paints. I spotted this set on sale and so have bought a set of acrylic artists paints manufactured by Golden. These are a high fluid set rather than the thicker stuff usually used painting on canvas. I thought they would be suitable for painting minis and from my limited test to date (one elf) they are showing great promise. The four colours I used were black and white, yellow ochre and burnt sienna in place of red. I will blog more about them in the future when I have experimented more.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful colour scheme....is the last figure going to be a barbarian or a knight ?

Nord said...

Half a cookie for you as you had two guesses, barbarian is correct

Matt Crump said...

Looking good but hard work ? I guessed barbarian too honest 🤥

astrochelonian said...

I see Marco Frissoni's video inspired you. It inspired me, as well!

Also, I'm glad to see Golden fluid acrylics get some love. I've been experimenting with them myself, but I think I prefer the heavy body line a little more.

Nord said...

Not seen that video, I have started painting on canvas and got used to mixing colours. Using watercolours in particular you can use the three primaries and get hundreds of colours. Acrylics are similar if you use the primaries plus black and white. It’s so nice having a box of ten paints, maybe a few inks, rather than hundreds of pots.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...