Wednesday 11 December 2019

The Lost Troll

A couple of years ago I started collecting minis from 1992, the year I started playing Warhammer. It was a full blown nostalgia trip, initially sparked by my finding a pile of old White Dwarfs in the attic. I started with orcs and goblins, but added a few trolls as time went by. Then I decided I really wanted the three original one-piece trolls. It's taken some time, but finally the day has arrived. The last troll has been found. He's the one that is not yet based or primed. The fourth troll, holding up the large rock at the rear, is a two piece model - the head is separate and I think it shows.

The strange thing about this tale was that it transpired I had owned the last troll many years ago. I had painted it and given it to my brother as a gift, then forgotten about it. When I posted on my facebook page that I was searching for this figure, my niece messaged to say he was in her dad's cabinet!


Here's a photo as they would have appeared in White Dwarf all those years ago, in the catalogue section at the back of the magazine. This was long, long before online images were available.

It's unlikely they will get painted any time soon, though the excitement of finally having the trio might spur me on. In the meantime, here's a couple of pictures I have been pondering as potential palettes. The traditional blue just does not work for me.





3 comments:

Dai said...

Not a fan of the blue either. The first scheme looks far better and more interesting.

You're a lucky fellow. Those sculpts were fun.

Matt Crump said...

Very nice but I do think you need to go blue ....tradition and all that🤔

Nord said...

Today of all days, there is far too much blue around - red or green would be far better

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...