Friday 12 January 2018

Oathmark Goblins Painted

The first unit of the year painted - these are the new plastic Oathmark goblins, plus a metal promotional figure as leader. My main aim when painting them was to do so speedily and to follow the same style and palette as my Mordor orcs. So these are mostly just a base coat and a glaze or wash to provide some easy shading. I wrote a more in depth tutorial on how to paint Mordor orcs, which I referred back to as a guide for these figures.

As stand alone figures they are good for adding bulk to your collection for a reasonable price. You can get a fairly good selection of poses and there are plenty of weapon options to choose from. As an addition to my existing Mordor collection I reckon they blend in pretty well. Stylistically, they are quite similar, and scale wise they are almost made for each other. The Oathmark figures are very detailed, if you look at the close up photo you can see that even the plastics in the background have very detailed chainmail and fine details in the faces. They are a little less dynamic than the GW figures, at least that's how I posed them, which is no bad thing in my book. As the photo below shows, they make very good Mordor orcs. Now we just have to see how well they do in battle.....

10 comments:

Idle Doodler said...

Very nicely done - a great paint job, even leaving aside that it was a speed-run. I'm very jealous!

I have to admit to having been a bit sceptical about these new goblin miniatures. I felt their poses looked a bit too much like the old space marines - shoulders hunched forwards and holding their firearms out in front for inspection. But your paint job has swayed me - seeing them as a cohesive (colour-wise, at least!) group rather than a collection of hunched over grey individuals makes a great difference. I'm still dubious as to their use for skirmish games where they are each an individual - it's a struggle to warm to their pose - but as groups, they do work well.

Nord said...

Well they are designed for mass battle games, so you are expecting a lot for skirmish games. They are fine for this purpose, looking good en masse. They do have a hunched appearance, that's a deliberate design element I think. They are not the best figures in my collection, but they are certainly far from being bad. For the money I think they are pretty decent.

Michal DwarfCrypt said...

Excellent paint work as always :)

Steve Williams said...

I really like the way that you have painted them - the earthy tones bring a seriousness to the models. I’ve been thinking about using them for D&D instead of GW’s Moria Goblins, I’m hoping that the Oathmark Orcs are even larger. If they are, I may swap to Oathmark for mooks. I use Otherworld minis for characters which are bigger than LotR, so OW minis always look bigger than Or s which isn’t right.

Killshot Productions said...

Really like what you’ve done with the figures.

quidamcorvus said...

Great work! I like it. :)

Idle Doodler said...

I suppose I've just been spoilt by the Frostgrave plastics! They certainly look better than my first impression of them.

Sebastian said...

Oh wow, gorgeous work. Dark, grimy and moody :)

antohammer paper miniature said...

They are wonderfull bro :D

Very_Luke_Berry said...

I found this post useful - I've learned a lot about painting from you and you've helped me towards finding a personal painting style I am happy with. Thanks for taking the time to write this blog and I hope you're still enjoying the hobby (and life outside it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...