Friday 2 August 2013

Varghulf

This is one of the models that I just had to have in my army. For me, this is how the monsters of the army should look, there's a savagery and realism (if that's possible in a fantasy figure) that is lacking from some of the recent models. If I had a top 10 list of figures, this would be in it somewhere.

I added the zombies/corpses for a little foreground interest. In my mind's eye, the varghulf is such a powerful force of undeath that it attracts corpses to the surface, like worms after a rain shower.

The dripping blood from the mouth was a last minute thing. I tried to add it using UHU glue but it just didn't work out for me, I need to try that again some time. In the end I snipped a hair from one of my big terrain brushes, glued it into the mouth, painted it red then added a couple of drops of super glue to the end. Then I added more red paint and some satin varnish. It's not perfect but it's good enough for gaming.

Enough chatter, here's more pictures of this fine beast.








3 comments:

Mr Saturday said...

Beautiful piece, great muted colour scheme and wonderful basework. The blood is not overdone and fantastically well applied.

I've been using UHU myself lately, and while it works well enough, it's not the ideal solution. I've been using EnviroTex Lite for water effects. I'm now wondering if I leave some to partially set would I get better results with that, and have much something also much stronger than the fragile UHU strands.

Laughing Ferret said...

very nice! the bloody maw is great. he has that 70's horror movie vibe. I like it

Nord said...

The silly thing is that I have used UHU in the past with success, but forgot what I did! I think I must have applied it and then added paint. Adding it to paint before applying just does not work. It's really intended for display pieces, but you could easily re-apply to gaming pieces that have suffered a little wear and tear". Water effect - too thick I would imagine?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...