Sunday 20 August 2017

X.I - Orks

I thought the easiest way to celebrate my ten years of blogging was to pick something from each of the years, starting back in 2008. This first year I actually started the blog in June, so there's less to choose from, but I still managed to find three contenders.



I painted a Norse team for Blood Bowl and a few regiments for my Warhammer Orcs and Goblins army, but my pick of the (half) year would be these ork shootas. They were the start of a new foray into this ruleset. I never quite got to grips with the 40K gameplay, I found it far more fiddly than the fantasy rules. In recent times I have enjoyed playing the orks using one-page-40K, but sadly these boyz have been in storage for the best part of the decade.

As a celebration, a ten year old snap is a little lacklustre, so I have dug out the boyz and persuaded them to pose for a few more photos. The whole force was painted in fits and starts over a couple of years, with many units left abandoned as grey plastic or still in the boxes. Shame really, as there are some really nice models here.



First up, the original mob of shootas, with a nob (boss) and the warlord in the background, persuading the boyz to get stuck in. The yellow was chosen as something I would not usually paint, and also as a less frequently seen ork clan the Bad Moons. According to the fluff, this meant more shootas than usual, hence this first unit.



The Bad Moons are the richest ork clan and thus have plenty of equipment. So I gave these ard boyz some serious amounts of armour. If memory serves, these are all converted from various plastic and metal bits, some fantasy parts in there too. They have a truck that is 90% painted, just waiting for the final touches.


Finally, my favourite unit of the force, both in gaming and painting terms. The warboss is a lovely model, seeing this figure was one of the main reasons I started collecting orks in the first place. And I just love the squigs, which I painted in a funky blue to contrast with the yellow. 

There's far more sat in storage waiting to be loved again - nobz, deffkoptas, burna boyz, grots, lots of standard boyz, a few meks, kans.........maybe in the next ten years they will get finished.

5 comments:

Steve Williams said...

They are superb - crack on and finish them! Seriously though (and coincidentally), I've been doing an inventory of the lead mountain and yesterday saw me unpacking orks from boxes, some of which were painted about 17 years ago (not nearly as well as yours - mine are more cartoony, but I prefer the more realistic style that you adopt). Should practice what I preach...

Michal DwarfCrypt said...

What a great looking orks! these green skin is really awesome!

Nord said...

Ha ha, my orks are mere youngsters then at 10 years old or younger. I do have some elves that I have had for over twenty years! So....many.....figures......aaaargh....

Grzegorz Zydor said...

Great painting bro

Matt Crump said...

I remember them orks never did like guy with big choppers 🙂

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...