Wednesday 13 December 2017

Blood Rage Dwarf and Giant

A couple more beards for Beardecember, from the Blood Rage game. First we have a dwarf, not the same aesthetic as the usual barrel bodied, armoured warrior. This is a dwarf in the Norse mythological tradition. These creatures live in the hills and are magical - dwarfs make weapons and armour for the Norse gods. In this depiction they are almost fairy like, so I wanted a rustic, woodland palette. The hooded cape was a nod in the direction of the fabled redcap, though it might have been better to go for green to add contrast to the red nose. I spent a little bit of time on the face and beard, but the rest was mostly a simple wash, including the base. There are more images on my facebook page.

A much bigger beard now, in the shape of the mighty frost giant. This figure was one of the main reasons I had for buying the game, it's possibly the best in the box (though the troll might have something to say about that). The palette obviously had to reflect the cold nature of the beast, so pale blues and pinks came to mind. I kept the beard a soft grey to maintain a nice, icy look - adding a little snow scatter in to really hammer home the point. The rock was an opportunity to add a little more colour and texture - I used water effect to make it appear slick with ice, though not sure this shows too well in the photo. I really enjoyed painting this figure, it's such a lovely, natural pose and detailed enough to add interest without being overloaded with extras.

Finally, a shot of the few characters I have painted so far. Each of these has been painted on a whim, hence the shocking disparity of the bases, which I will probably correct at some point.

10 comments:

Lee said...

Very very nice! Must get around to painting my Blood Rage figures...

Michal DwarfCrypt said...

Fantastic looking models!

Steve Williams said...

Loving the giant!

Phil said...

Most impressive and superb Giant!

Nord said...

Thanks guys. The giant is a lovely model, a joy to paint.

Andrew said...

I love the dwarf! I wish they made more like him 😟

Matt Crump said...

Lots more nice beards 🎅🏽

Nord said...

Thanks guys. The dwarf is a nice figure, a bit overshadowed in this post though!

astrochelonian said...

I'm continuously in awe at how beautifully you achieve color blends. It is specially visible in the giant, but it's a staple of all your work. Thank you for these. They're truly inspiring.

Nord said...

Thank you, that's a very kind comment. I am still learning as the years go by, it's always good to try new things.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...