Monday 12 February 2018

Stone troll

A Stone Troll, from the days of yore. I have recently started to collect greenskins from 1992, the year I started playing Warhammer Fantasy Battle. I got a bit nostalgic over the Christmas period when I re-discovered all my old White Dwarf magazines in the loft with the xmas decorations. Then I discovered the Middlehammer group on facebook, and it escalated quite quickly from there! Now I have about a dozen each of the orcs and goblins, plus a few other models. I couldn't resist picking this model up too and started to paint it up just as soon as the old paintwork had been stripped away.

I was torn between painting it in the old school style or giving it my own interpretation. It started as grey skinned and evolved from there. It was a real blast to paint, pretty easy too being so large. It was mostly glazing and shading up from white as I usually do, with lots of areas roughly stippled for speedy progress. The bulging eye I never really liked, so I painted it as blind to divert attention to other areas.

There are more pictures on my facebook page, more angles to view.

6 comments:

Phil Curran said...

I like the realistic finish.

Michal DwarfCrypt said...

Masterclass work!

Steve Williams said...

The more realistic paint job better suits the model- personally, I was never a fan of the cartoony style that GW adopted at the time.

astrochelonian said...

This is fantastic. I love the realistic look. I also love that the wooden handle of the axe isn't brown. I'm going to try and see if I can replicate it.

Terry Silverthorn said...

Excellent brushwork! I am also not a fan of bright green skin on the gobbos, instead going for a darker olive green.

Matt Crump said...

Very nice if you need it I have a large spray tin of lurid green paint !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...