Thursday, 27 July 2017

Two weeks later.....

It's two weeks since my last update and I really wanted to have this unit finished by now. However, as you can see in the photo, it's only just started. I blame too much work and home DIY projects. I did get a decent session in, painting on the robes, which I then roughly drybrushed over with some grey, then applied some inks for shading, and some matte varnish to remove the inky shine. And then just today I quickly painted the metal areas. That's it, just two painting sessions in two weeks.

I chose the cool colours of the robes as a change to my usual approach of going for a realistic, muted palette. I just wanted to try something a bit different. Recently I have been admiring different painters' work on the web and one thing that attracts me is the vibrant command of colours that many have. It's something I am working on myself in my own way. I had a stark reminder of my adherence to realism when I pulled out some Mordor orcs today, in preparation for a game over the weekend. The palette is so dull and murky, realistic perhaps but uninspiring. I will get some pictures in the game and post them over the weekend. Hopefully I will get some painting done too.....

4 comments:

Michał Kucharski said...

Looking great at now!

Michał Kucharski said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Steven Williams said...

They look great! I think being able to switch between muted and realistic, and more vivid colours is a useful skill. It's something I'm working on because I tend to fall back on a limited palette of colours for all of my models. Having said that, your female vampire is an example of when muted and realistic perfectly suits the subject.

Matt Crump said...

They already look ghostly 😀

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...