Thursday, 24 December 2015

Converted Khorgorath

When I first saw this model, I thought it was messy. Too many bits sticking out the top of it, and a very silly looking head. But I liked the solid rhino like body and thought it had potential. After a brief search through my bits box I found an old metal bloodthirster head which was just about the right size. I had to use my limited greenstuff skills to add some hair braids to blend it in. I also removed a couple of skulls that pop out of the skin, and simply cut out or left off the snake tentacles on the shoulders. If I possessed better sculpting skills, I would have completely redone the shoulders to omit the gaping maws and the emerging skulls. One little problem I was able to overcome was the metal head toppled over the figure, so I counterbalanced this by adding lead weights to the base - hidden under cork rocks.

When it came to painting I had decided early on not to go with the usual red skin. At first I thought black skin, with fiery innards, balrog style. But I also wanted to include some blood, which doesn't really show up well on dark skin. So eventually I just started painting and hoped for the best. I stippled on pale flesh colours and then some shading in greys and blue. I was hoping for a mottled appearance. The rhino legs I glazed with greys, blues, green and purple. The muscles under the skin I painted pink, with brown thin lines, then glazed a couple of times with rusty red for a fairly quick and easy flesh effect. Lots of glazing, stippling and just going with the flow, I think it worked out in the end.

Hopefully I will get plenty of games with the beast. It will join my Khorne contingent for skirmishes using the Fantastic Saga and Dragon Rampant rules, and maybe a couple of other rulesets I will be unwrapping soon. I took quite a few close-ups of some of the details, so here's some more gory details.






7 comments:

Killshot Productions said...

That's some amazing brushwork there! The conversion is flawless.

Minijunkie said...

Woah - WOW. What a great model! Fantastic conversion and the paint job is phenomenal. Love the flayed flesh effect on the chest symbol.

Matt Crump said...

Nice, exactly how I feel after too much beer !

Old Fogey said...

Thanks guys, he's not particularly festive, though the palette is about right ;)

benvoliothefirst said...

Bad-@$$. Awesome job!

demi_morgana said...

Kickass painting!
What happened to the rest of Bloodthirster's body?

Old Fogey said...

Only the Blood God knows the answer to that question.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...