Monday 2 March 2015

Blood Rage Kickstarter

The Blood Rage kickstarter is under way. If you like vikings, trolls, Norse mythology, that kind of thing, then you should definitely take a look. Here's the link to the project on kickstarter.

I have had a mixed experience with kickstarter projects. Having backed half a dozen, I have to say that my experience of them has left me quite wary. There are a number of pitfalls that can easily tarnish the project. Lateness seems endemic, they invariably take far longer than advertised. I am hoping that this will not be the case, given that these manufacturers have had plenty of experience. Maybe I will end up being pleasantly surprised, but I expect slippage.

A bigger problem can be that the end product does not match expectations. Awesome artwork is designed to draw you in, but in some cases the end product is nothing like the designs. Likewise, photos of resin masters can look enticing, but then the delivered pvc product can be less than impressive.  In this case, looking at the copious numbers of photos of finished figures, I don't think this will be a problem.

A final problem I have experienced in the past is poor game design. It turns out that there is an art to game design and not every one can do it well. It's a minor concern for me, I am in it for the miniatures, but the designer in this case has a good pedigree.

Reservations aside, I am unable to resist this one. The photos of the product have eased my fears on the pvc front and I can endure a delay in shipping. I am hoping that stretch goals will add some variety to the figures included, but it's not a deal breaker as far as I am concerned. When the first picture of the Nordic troll was released months ago, I was hooked. And it seems I am not alone, the project funded the $50000 goal within about 3 minutes, and had 1000 backers within 10 minutes. Let the countdown to Ragnarok begin!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...