Sunday 15 July 2012

Dark Thoughts

Recently I have been sorting through my piles of Warhammer models, thinning out the stuff that will never get painted, and planning how to expand my main armies.

This dark elf belongs to the first category. If the whole range was as good as the corsairs and cold one riders, I would have been hooked. However, like so many of the armies, it's a mix of the old and the new, with the old looking really dated and poorly sculpted compared to what can be done.

The figure actually belongs to my son. A few years ago we enjoyed the occasional game together, he liked the dark elves so I bought him a battalion box and a few other bits. He assembled the models, even making this conversion of Lokhir Fellheart from the plastic corsairs (I filled in a couple of gaps on the shoulders with grey stuff). But I have finally come to admit that he does not really have an interest in the game, and with my own interest on the wane, the dark elves are to be sold. However, I thought it would be a shame to let this figure go, so I have painted it up, as a souvenir of good times gone by.

If I had unlimited time, pots of cash, and more interest in the game, I would have been tempted to build an army myself, based around cold one riders and corsairs. Instead, I have recently been looking at my collection of chaos warriors and planning some new units for that army. I also have a half completed unit of goblins that I really would like to get back to at some stage. For me, Warhammer is not dead yet, it's just not as all-consuming as it once was. On the one hand, this makes me a little bit regretful, but it does also make it easier to thin out the piles of unpainted and hidden models.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...